Me

My photo
My blog speaks for me

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Gloom & Doom

This piece is featured on somtindey!: somtindey.blogspot.com and I must say that being asked to do so was such an honour to me. Thank you Somtinde.


I've learnt that if any of us, girls and women want true strength born of stability, we need to find a more productive outlet. Self- destruction isn't a valid art form because it allows the world rejoice in our weakness, the inferiority that it has always expected of us. As a gender, we are far more likely to turn our personal failures inward, to wage private wars against ourselves, to attempt suicide.

Its just plain sad how the world tries to create a generation of women who are emotionally dependent and then demonize us for our lack of feminine control. I think its time we allow ourselves experience real anger and I don't mean that passive aggressive dance we've employed for too many years. Eating disorders, drug addictions, alcohol abuse, promiscuity, self-injury aren't exhibitions of real anger. If it takes the form of whispering, cold shoulders or silent treatment then it isn't real anger. Real anger is what popular belief would have us be afraid of, just cos its not elegant, courteous or feminine.

Rather than turning our dissatisfaction inward, allowing ourselves be thwarted by gender stereotypes, the holier-than thou's and the burdens to achieve feeble feminine goals such as thinness, rather than allowing our frustrations to be wasted and waste away inside us, I think we should use them as ammunition against the world they were borne of. I believe we can shed them in our projects. In our music, our art, on our canvasses, we can be wildly immodest ;)

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo... Preach the WORD sistah..
    I luvd this statement "we can be wildly immodest"! Soo Looking forward to that!! You Go Girl.. :)

    ReplyDelete