Me

My photo
My blog speaks for me

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

For Writers

           Words are our trade. It is not enough to create a story, we must also be able to put it across. Meaning must be clear. Readers have not the time to read over and over again to make sense of it. To protect the reader from incomprehension and boredom, a writer has to insist on language which is specific, definite and self-explanatory. I mean one might escape illiteracy but not necessarily confusion.
           English is sort of a battlefield. With the perfectionists fighting off the bums cos they believe they aren't good enough to write a single word. Which is all bullshit to me. I mean they might not have a kobo to their name but somewhere along the line they managed to acquire quite an impressive vocabulary.  
             Daily the stream of language is polluted by viscous verbality. Meanings are clouded by vague abstractions, fine tuning conceals identity, and words, words, acronyms, ''senseless'' acronyms weigh the mind down. For instance, look what happened to ''poor'' people. They became ''needy'' then ''deprived'' then ''underprivileged'' or ''disadvantaged'' and oh in political terms, ''economically challenged''.
             I'm not saying I'm not guilty of some screws-ups and I'm also not saying every write-up has to be able to change the world with its power and emotion. I'm just saying its time we all took a moment to consider what it is we are really trying to say with our work. So have something to say and say it as clearly as you can. That is the only secret of style.

2 comments:

  1. "I mean one might escape illiteracy but not necessarily confusion." .... this line said it all for me..nice!

    ReplyDelete